Makespace Program Coordinator
Full Time, Flexible Schedule (32-37.5hr/wk)
Closing Date: Open Until Filled – Initial Review Date TBD
Yukonstruct is looking for a passionate and motivated individual who can organize programming and events for Makespace! Are you skilled at finding and organizing instructors as well as planning and promoting events? Are you passionate about maker culture and helping others learn new skills and build things? If so, this might be the role for you!
- You are community-oriented, and can manage a roster of instructors and onboard new instructors.
- You have incredible attention to detail.
- Experience with spreadsheets.
- You can manage a budget.
- You are full of creative project ideas and are able to find instructors to teach them.
- You can promote events in a way that is engaging and eye-catching.
- You love making, and enjoy inspiring, motivating, and supporting individuals to explore new skills.
- You thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic working environment.
- You enjoy working with youth and adults alike.
- You can receive a clear Vulnerable Sector Check.
Although not required, ideal candidates will also have some woodworking, metalworking, or digital fabrication skills and experience instructing workshops directly.
The position of Makespace Program Coordinator will work at Yukonstruct’s NorthLight Innovation Hub. In this position you will report to the Makespace Director.
- Organizing community-run programming (30%)
- Working to grow programming that touches upon the breadth of Makespace tools and culture (eg: digital design, woodshop, metal shop, 3D printing, arts and crafts, laser cutter, sewing, hackathons, community builds, etc) and maximize the number of workshops and events that are offered to benefit members and draw in new community members.
- Maintaining a schedule of workshops and training opportunities a few months ahead.
- Advertising workshops and training with the Marketing Coordinator.
- Communication with the community and other organizations regarding potential programming.
- Managing instructors and volunteers (25%)
- Sourcing and supporting instructors for Makespace programming.
- Coordinating volunteers to run regular training orientations.
- Managing instructor and volunteer compensation.
- Developing programming (25%)
- Working with schools and other partners to develop and deliver special programming, which can be run by community members, Makespace staff, or teachers.
- Evaluating programs and instructors and implementing improvements.
- Reporting on the attendance and success of workshops and training.
- Building a resource of activity and workshop outlines and curriculum (designed in house, by contract instructors or by sourcing externally) to grow inhouse resources for future instructors to be able to repeat pre-developed programs.
- Seeking appropriate and strategic programming grants.
- Developing and expanding programming to enhance the society’s mission and financial position.
- Ensuring programs are priced appropriately to meet market demand while ensuring that programming is sustainable for the long term and internal capacity grows to be able to continue to support increased programming.
- Managing a budget.
- Planning for future programming and designing new proposals for new projects in this area.
- Delivering programming directly (10%)
- Delivering programming directly when community resources are not available to run workshops.
- Other Duties (10%):
- Maintaining scheduled front desk hours at Makespace and supporting events at NorthLight as needed.
- Assisting with technology needs across the NorthLight facility as needed and skill sets apply.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Wages: $26/hr, negotiable with relevant skills & experience
Benefits: 3 weeks paid leave, benefits package, free workshops for professional development
To join our wonderful team, please submit a cover letter identifying why you are excited about this opportunity and a current CV to Rick Yorgason at email@example.com.