This course runs over two evenings: Tuesday September 22 and Tuesday September 29, from 6-9pm.
This intermediate sewing course will take participants through all the steps for making a pair of loose fitting, elastic waist pants. The pattern is for cropped length pants but we can easity adjust the length during the class. The pants can be pajama pants or regular pants, depending on the fabric you choose. The pattern we will use is 100 Acts of Sewing: Pants No. 1, by Sonya Phillips. This pattern series is easy to follow and well drafted to suit a range of sizes. Pattern information can be seen here: https://shop.100actsofsewing.com/collections/frontpage/products/100-acts-of-sewing-pants- no-1-sewing-pattern
Materials: The paper pattern, tracing paper and waistband elastic will be provided.
Students will need to bring:
- 2.5 metres (or yards) of cotton, denim, flannel, linen, vintage sheets or similar medium- weight woven (not stretchy, not too heavy) fabric. Please wash the fabric before the class.
- 1 spool of matching thread.
- A good pencil and eraser
If you have questions or need ideas about fabric, please contact Georgi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to bring your personal machine that is fine, as long as it has a new needle, a bobbin and is working and ready to go.
Instructor Bio: Georgi is a part time seamstress and sewing machine repair person in Whitehorse. Her sewn goods can be found at many of the Christmas craft markets and she is well known for her flannel-lined toddler pants called Quilty Pants. Georgi picked up her sewing skills from her mom, her grade 7 Home Economics class and from Fashion Design courses at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute. She is excited to start teaching sewing skills, tips and short cuts to others.
- We will ask you to wash your hands as soon as you enter the building. After you wash your hands, we encourage you not to touch your mouth or eyes while in the building.
- We encourage you to bring and wear a fabric mask. Free masks are provided (if available to us).
- Workstations are spaced 6 feet apart to limit face-to-face contact.
- Our instructor will be wearing a fabric mask when they can’t social distance.
- Stay home if you are sick or have a fever, cough or shortness of breath.